Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"Taking a Break from Reality" with the Hit Single Machine










Since day one, the Hit Single Machine has been working hard and made crazy progress as a result. Now, in the beginning of week two, their song is finished (actually, it’s kind of finished, as I’m told by some group members) and they’ve been in the recording studio pulling the song together. I was able to catch a glimpse of the song, and it was good. Like, INSANELY good. Standing outside the recording studio, the thick wooden door couldn’t stop me from hearing the upbeat, exuberant song loud and clear. The catchy beat, amazing vocals, and creative lyrics seriously caught my interest (I only heard a vocal recording session). Although some things that I heard were questionable, such as insane laughter and screaming, I was left wanting to hear more after they were done.
Some students, after the recording session, evaluated their progress and filled me in on how things were going. Sam exclaimed, “We recorded in the dark! It was so much fun, and we couldn’t see anything.” When I asked Sam about the group’s progress, he said, “It turned out longer then we expected it to be -- about three minutes long. We haven’t completely finished it, but we’ll be working until the last minute and will be making the music video. We’re just playing around with it, really.”

I also spoke with Jamarcus, who was pretty happy about the song’s turnout. “I was surprised, but in a good way,” he said. “For one, it was supposed to be a pop song, but it kind of turned out to be a mix of pop, R&B, and jazz. But I like it. Hopefully we’ll be done by Friday for the assembly, but I’m sure it’s going to work out just fine.”

Finally, I ended by talking to Nano, who played the bass guitar and “did the intro” for the song. I also asked him what he thought of the song’s progress and he responded with, “I think it’s pretty good. I mean, we’re just, like, amateurs, but we’re having fun. The song’s a different kind of pop, has a different concept, which I like.”

The completed song will be shown at the assembly on Friday, and I, for one, cannot wait to hear the finished product. If you’re interested to see the Hit Single Machine’s progress more regularly, check out their Tumblr, Twitter, or Youtube accounts. The links are on the left sidebar of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment